Sunday, June 6, 2010

Hidden bug & nasty orange / black bug

The first photograph has three "bugs" or groups of "bugs" evident. I have labelled the first 2 - Bug 1 and Bug(s) 2. Can you spot the third "bug"? It may be advisable to click on the photograph to enlarge it which should make the text that I have added easily readable.

The solution is posted at the end of this blog - a photograph with a specific area enlarged to display the "bug". I almost missed a photo opportunity, but fortunately did see "bug" number 3.

The bug labelled Bug 1 forms the basis for today blogpost. I noticed an orange/red and black "ladbybird" on a leaf. Took the first photographs and realised that this bug was no "ladybird". Note the thorny / spikes along the perimeter.
While I zoomed in, and looked for another angle, the bug extended itself upwards, while stuck to the leaf at one end. I am unsure if it was a defence mechanism or a means to slumber until the bug "metamorphoses" into the next stage of its life. Notice the area which is attached to the leaf resembles a circle of thorns. The bug remained in this upright extended position and I moved on to take some other photographs.

I am sure Joan will have the answer as to what this orange/red/black spiny bug is and what it matures into. Here are more photographs of the bug, in what I presume to be a more advanced stage of its life cycle. 6 legs are evident, which it uses to scurry frenetically around the leaves with. There were a reasonable number of these creatures on the leaves, and I would be interested to know what they will eventually transform into. Butterflies possibly? If so, then I need to get back to the spot quickly - anyone know what time frame the transformation takes?





Solution to the 3rd bug mystery. See enlarged area of the leaf - dead / brown area has the bug hiding in plain sight, but neatly camouflaged.

A tiny brown jumping spider is the answer. Click photograph to enlarge.

15 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

LOL!! The first set is a pupating ladybird Zane and the second (black one) The larva of a ladybird too. :)

Love the little spider. :) Well spotted and great pictures!!

Gaelyn said...

You do have an eye for the tiny bugs. And thank goodness Joan is around to ID these little beauties.

Jo said...

Well spotted and photographed, Zane and thank goodness Joan has ID'd the bugs. Is this in your garden. My garden in South Africa is home to many bugs but here in the Sudan, it's too hot and dry for anything!

Firefly said...

You really have some ugly "bug"gers in your garden.

I always just thought that a ladybird is a ladybird is a ladybird.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I forgot to add that I am almost 100% certain these are on a rose bush? They feed on the aphids so they are a popular breeding ground for ladybirds.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Zane: I left a message for Seamus on your Vuurvliegie post. Will you pass the message on please. Thanks.

Zane said...

Thank you to Jo, Joan, Firefly, Gaelyn for the comments - much appreciated.

Note that these bugs are not in my garden - too much cement dust with the building alterations. I refer to a few secret spots that I have - and the specific spot where I found these bugs is a spiders paradise. I moved the "rambling rose" tendrils and leaves and 3 different jumping spiders look at me, and there are aphids, wasps, flies. A tiny white/green "crab" spider landed on my long sleeve ton on the wrist. I am spoilt for choice at this spot.

Thanks Joan for the identification - I thought I had found an alien colony.

Elettra said...

Hi Zane, beautiful photos and a beautiful play, thank you for your visit and comment

Andrea said...

Hi Zane:very interesting serie.
Please,have a look to my blog:
http://soloimmaginisolitarie.blogspot.com

Bye

Zane said...

Thanks Elettra and Andrea. Comments much appreciated.

Apologies Andrea I knew I forgot to add you to my bloglist. Will post a comment on your blog.

AzureKate said...

That first bug, the orange with the spikes, I'm just asking should I be worried because there is one living in my room...I keep spotting them and there's more because I spotted one and killed it, then found another one....what ARE they?!!?!?.???

jason said...

wow, cool life stage of a bug. I like bugs that are not creepy to look at. unlike stink bugs, they really are creepy and also they are so many when they crawl in our house.

The Best Days of Your Life Photography said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Best Days of Your Life Photography said...

@AzureKate....the black with orange spikes is the larvae of a ladybug (ladybird). I too found these all over my rosebushes. I love love love macro and any bug or spider I can get my lens on. They are harmless.
check out my photos of my collection of the ladybug life cycle at :

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150213694232557.339287.820772556&l=7b3d7d207f&type=1

Satya said...

Thanks for helping me identify them. My nephew found one yesterday and I was trying to identify it.

The spider is scary. :)